Saturday, April 25, 2009

Why I am different...

I attend lots of networking functions, and also go on photoshoots with other photographers. An experience I had recently gave me something new to say when people asjk why they should hire me instead of the other person.

We were shooting family/model portraits on the beach. I was put in a group with another photographer I'll just call JT. JT and I have different philosophies about shooting and our roles.

JT was constantly asking the model/families, "What type of portrait would you like to see? What's your ideal portrait, pose, etc.?" Now I know some of you are likely thinking, "That's good, he was communicating and client-centered in his approach," and you're right - to a point. The problem as I see it is twofold with that approach. First of all, most people really have no idea about poses or ideal portraits. They can point to one and say "I like that idea or pose" but they don't know how to start from scratch and build a portrait. The models seemed a bit perplexed by this approach, and stammered and stuttered a bit, mostly saying, "Well, whatever you want to do is fine."

Now in his defense I'll note that none of us had the opportunity to meet the models before, so we had no idea of what they liked or didn't like. I'll also agree that it's important to get to know the client's stylistic preferences before a shoot, and to take those into account. I always, ALWAYS spend some time with my clients getting to know their stylistic preferences before a shot begins. By the time the wedding day rolls around we've had multiple conversations and I have a good idea of what they like.

But - now it's time for me to do MY job. My clients don't pay me just to take photographs according to their ideas, which is a good way to get lots of photos that look just like everyone else's photos. BORING! My clients pay me to recognize the style they are looking for and take things to another level, coming up with ideas neither they nor the traditional photographer they could have hired (for less money) would think of - to create art, not just craft. That's what makes me different, what makes me unique. That's what makes them go "Wow!"

No comments: